Attorney Başak Demet GOTS J.D
Legal Advisor NEW YORK /USA
Attorney Basak Demet GOTS registered to the NEW YORK BAR since 2011. Attorney Basak Demet GOTS is an Immigration and Business Attorney with extensive experience on working with investors and professionals. Mrs. GOTS has worked with a wide range of international clients, particularly with the Turkish business community, US startups and corporations with Turkish origins. She has a strong track record of success with various employment, investment and trade based visas issues.
Basak Demet GOTS provides unique solutions for ONGUR&PARTNERS’ Turkish and international clients during their investments, company establishments, visa processes in compliance with US Law.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: English (Native) / Turkish (Native)
JD BROOKLYN LAW SCHOOL
Brooklyn, New York––J.D., June 2010 Awards: BLSPI Platinum Public Service Award USA
MA DEGREE BOSPORUS UNIVERSITY
Bosphorus University, Istanbul, Turkey––M.A, Philosophy, January 2003
BA DEGREE BOSPORUS UNIVERSITY
Bosphorus University, Istanbul, Turkey––B.A, Sociology, June 1998
SELECTED WORK EXPERIENCES
- Gots Law Firm, New York, NY Principal June 2013 - Present Immigration and Business Attorney with extensive experience working with artists, investors and professionals. Have worked with a wide range of international clients with special emphasis on the Turkish business community, including US start-ups and established corporations with Turkish origins. Proven track record of success with various employment, investment and trade based visas.
- Beskardes Law Office, New York, NY Associate Attorney February 2011 – May 2013 Provided legal counseling and assistance to clients on various family and employment-based visa and immigration matters, with a special focus on E (investor and trader), L, O, J, EB, and National Interest Waiver cases. Interviewed clients, identified possible solutions to their immigration and visa-related issues. Personally handled all phases of visa and immigration petitions. Wrote business plans and case letters for E and L visa applicants, as well as support letters for O and EB petitioners. Achieved 100% success rate in cases personally handled.
- US-Department of Labor, New York, NY Benefits Advisor, EBSA August, 2009 – June, 2010 Provided guidance to employers and employees regarding their benefits-related rights and duties. Investigated and adjudicated employee benefit plan disputes. Interviewed all involved parties, including employers, employees and their attorneys, to assess the accuracy of their claims. Conducted legal research and drafted legal recommendations for the adjudication of disputes. Received the Recovery and Reinvestment Act Award.
- The Legal Aid Society, Brooklyn, NY Intern, Criminal Defense Division May, 2007 – August, 2007 Represented defendants from arraignment to plea disposition. Interviewed clients before and after arraignment in order to determine a legal course of action. Researched and drafted motions. Appeared at hearings. Wrote to the ADA on behalf of a client for plea bargain purposes and represented a second client at a hearing.
- City University of New York, Staten Island/Brooklyn, NY Adjunct Professor September, 2004 -- September, 2006 Taught introduction to philosophy, introduction to ethics, freshman and sophomore English. Established and implemented curriculum. Prepared for and delivered lectures. Reviewed and graded student papers and examinations. Graded citywide standardized entrance and exit exams.